The European Union has launched the "Conference on the Future of Europe" as an open debate with citizens on the challenges we face and on how to plan our future together.
On 9 May – Europe Day – we invite regional and local leaders to contribute to the conference, including by joining the European Committee of the Regions' network of Regional and Local EU Councillors.
The democratic and inclusive Union we want, needs to be built on Europe's foundation: its regions, cities and villages. As the closest and most trusted level of government by the people, we call on the million elected politicians at regional and local level:
"Please engage with
your citizens locally and make their voice heard to ensure the conference is a success
we get involved?
We have the opportunity to ensure that the EU's future is built with our people and our places, not just in Brussels and the capitals. Imagine if in every regional or local assembly one elected politician takes care of the way the EU has an impact on their community. Imagine if that local leader engages with citizens and ensures their voice is heard in the conference.
What can we
do and how can we
concretely deliver together?
The European Committee of the Regions is the EU's voice of local and regional elected leaders. Together we can:
Share your citizens' views: listen to our citizens' views from a regional and local perspective and share them through political families and territorial associations in the conference;
Organise local dialogues with citizens: organise dialogues across Europe's regions, cities and villages as participatory events involving citizens and their communities;
Join our network of Regional and Local EU Councillors : nominate one elected member of your regional or local assembly as a Councillor on European Affairs and get involved via local dialogues with citizens;
Hold political debates in your local and regional assembly : by holding a debate on the future of the EU you can put our region or city or village on the map;
Build up a common vision for the European Union: to be discussed and adopted at the Summit of Regions and Cities in Marseille 2022. This will be
our contribution to the conference.
What does the initiative offer and where can we find out more?
Together, let's bring Europe to people in the places they are living in!
As we emerge from the pandemic, citizens are placing their trust in local and regional leaders even more than ever before.
If we all act alone, each of us is just one in a million. If we all act together, we can make Europe not only our house but our true home.
We look forward to working with you.
1. Apostolos Tzitzikostas, President of the European Committee of the Regions, Governor of the Region of Central Macedonia, Greece
2. Dubravka Šuica, Vice-President of the European Commission, Commissioner for Democracy and Demography
3. Guy Verhofstadt, Co-Chair of the Executive Committee of the Conference on the Future of Europe
4. Ana Paula Zacarias, Portuguese Secretary of State for European Affairs
5. Jacqueline Gourault, Minister for Territorial Cohesion and Relations with Local Government
6. Renaud Muselier, President of the French Regions, President of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region
7. Frédéric Bierry, President of the European Collectivity of Alsace
8. François Baroin, President of the Association of Mayors of France, Mayor of Troyes
9. Jeanne Barseghian, Mayor of Strasbourg and 1st Vice-President of the Eurometropole of Strasbourg
10. André Viola, President of the French delegation to the European Committee of the Regions, Member of the Aude Departmental Council
11. Vasco Alves Cordeiro, First Vice-President of the CoR and Member of the Regional Parliament of the Azores
12. Olgierd Geblewicz, President of the EPP Group in the European Committee of the Regions, President of the Western Pomerania Region
13. Christophe Rouillon, President of the PES Group in the European Committee of the Regions, Mayor of Coulaines
14. François Decoster, President of the Renew Europe Group in the European Committee of the Regions, Mayor of Saint-Omer
15. Władysław Ortyl, President of the ECR Group in the European Committee of the Regions, President of the Podkarpackie Region
16. Kieran McCarthy, President of the EA Group in the European Committee of the Regions, Member of Cork City Council
17. Satu Haapanen, Co-Chair of the Greens Group in the European Committee of the Regions, Member of Oulu City Council