Conference of the Regional and Local Authorities for the Eastern Partnership (CORLEAP) will hold its 11th Annual meeting in Liberec, Czech Republic, on 3 November 2022. This is not an ordinary CORLEAP Annual meeting, being the first one held fully in person after the COVID-19 pandemic, beginning of the aggression of the Russian Federation on Ukraine, and granting of EU candidate country status to both Ukraine and the Republic of Moldova, as well as European perspective for Georgia.
The CoR President and CORLEAP Co-Chair Vasco Alves Cordeiro could not join the meeting, so he is sending a video message, so Ms Aleksandra Dulkiewicz (PL/EPP), Mayor of Gdańsk and CORLEAP Bureau member, will co-chair the meeting, together with Mr Zurab Abashidze, Deputy Chair of Tbilisi City Assembly (Georgia), CORLEAP Co-Chair.
The meeting is an event of the Czech Presidency of the Council of the EU, and is co-organized by the CoR, Czech Presidency, Liberec Region and SMOCR, association of Czech towns and municipalities.
CORLEAP will discuss its own future and the future of the Eastern Partnership (EaP) from local and regional perspective. A number of distinguished speakers will give their views before the floor opens for the CORLEAP members and observers. They are:
- Jan MARIAN, Special Envoy for the Eastern Partnership, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, Czech Presidency of the Council of the EU
- Eduard AUER, Head of Division for Eastern Partnership, regional cooperation and OSCE, European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Máté CSICSAI, Team leader, Eastern Partnership Coordination, European Commission, Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR)
- Marc COOLS, Alderman, Municipality of Uccle (Brussels, Belgium), representative of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- Alin-Adrian NICA (RO/EPP), President of Timiş County Council, CoR rapporteur on the future of the EaP
The meeting will then discuss and adopt its two reports:
- on The role and place of local democracy and decentralization in the modernization and consolidation of democratic processes in the EaP - rapporteur Constantin Cojocari, Mayor of Edineţ, Republic of Moldova; Vaida Aleknavičiene (LT/PES), CEMR – "Platforma" spokesperson will also speak.
- on Localising the green agenda of the EaP – rapporteur Gintsk Kaminskis (LV/Renew Europe); Olgierd Geblewicz (PL/EPP), the CoR rapporteur on The CoR's role in boosting subnational climate diplomacy ahead of COP27 and COP28, will also speak.
The Czech organizers invited the meeting's participants for two simultaneous study visits, taking place in the afternoon, and to a international conference on strengthening the resilience of the municipalities in the Eastern Partnership on the following day, 4 November.