The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) is drafting an
Opinion on "Implementing the Paris Agreement through innovative and sustainable energy transition at regional and local level"
To discuss the topic of the opinion, the
Rapporteur Mr. Witold Stępień (PL/EPP), Member of the Łódzkie Regional Assembly and his expert
Ms. Giorgia Rambelli, ICLEI will be happy to
meet with you on:
Friday, 5th of April 2019 from 10.00 to 12.00
(Registration will start at 9.30)
in the Committee of the Regions building
(Rue Belliard 101, B-1040 Brussels)
The meeting will be held in Polish and
(active interpretation available in EN and PL)
Our rapporteur has prepared a Working Document which can be found at this link
in English. The rapporteur strives for the highest possible quality input and widest range of different views for his opinion and we believe your expertise will greatly contribute to achieving this objective. In case you want to share a
position paper related to the topic, you are invited to send it
before the meeting to
questions to be addressed during the meeting are:
- What are the most urgent measures to be implemented in support of cities and regions to accelerate climate action in the next 11 years?
- What is the role of technology, research and innovation in facilitating the reaching of the Paris Agreement objectives and increasing Europe's energy security?
- How can the barriers (financial and regulatory) standing in the way of a sustainable energy transition be overcome, in particular focusing on territories whose specificities make this transition difficult and where an innovative approach and support is most needed (coal- and carbon-intensive regions and islands)?
- How can LRAs' capacity for management, implementation and investment be better supported? How can citizen engagement and community projects be better considered and integrated?
- What kind of economic, legal and promotional tools should be used to effectively nudge citizens to use decarbonisation-enhancing solutions, including becoming prosumers?
adoption calendar of the opinion is as follows:
- 12 June 2019, CoR external ENVE Commission: adoption of the CoR draft opinion;
- 7-10 October 2019, CoR Plenary Session: adoption of the final CoR opinion.
Please register by Wednesday, 3rd April 2019 via
the registration form.
Take part in our survey on socio-economic transformation and energy transition in EU regions and cities!