Do you possess a good knowledge of finance and budget related procedures? Do you understand the various stages of the preparation and adoption of the annual budget, the interaction of the various stakeholders and the political dimension under which the budget of each institution is decided? Are you able to see one-step ahead and deliver consistent and quality results, even when working with short deadlines? ? Are you able to transform/explain complex processes in simple ideas? Do you possess excellent drafting skills (in English) and do you master complex systems and financial data processing in Excel
In the context of increasingly challenging budgetary constraints and the political and administrative priorities of the institution, the Directorate for Human Resources and Finance of the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) is looking for a new Head of the Budget Sector (in the Annual Budget and Finances Unit) that under the authority of the Head of Unit will coordinate the annual budget preparation process, monitor the budget implementation and drive the budget execution optimisation.
As Head of the Budget Sector and expert in finance and budget related matters, you will support the Head of Unit by contributing to the long-term CoR budget strategy. Furthermore, you will support the Head of Unit in the coordination, the preparation of and the follow-up to the Committee for Financial and Administrative Affairs (CFAA) meetings and ensure a smooth cooperation of all services involved in the follow-up of the annual discharge process.
You will plan and monitor the Budget Sector's activities, support other colleagues in their work and perform a quality check of documents prepared.
The context of the Covid-19 experience has obliged all institutions to review their functioning, working methods as well as the services that they offer. As a creative financial expert with in-depth knowledge of the functioning of the European Institutions, the Financial Regulation, the annual budget process, you will participate in shaping the institution's strategic objectives in terms of budget preparation, allocation and management.
Are you the talent we are looking for?
- You have at least 3 years of professional experience in financial and budget management and possess a good knowledge of the financial and budgetary procedures of the European Institutions (Financial Regulation, annual budget, discharge procedure, etc.);
- You can motivate, develop and successfully lead multicultural teams and maintain constructive relations with all client services and stakeholders;
- You have an excellent written, communication and drafting skills in English;
- You preferably have a diploma in economics, finances or accounting;
- You have excellent analytical and synthesis skills, organization skills as well as critical sense;
- You are a good networker capable of establishing trustful relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- You show initiative and foresight, remaining equally efficient and working to the same high standard as when deadlines are short or there is a high workload;
- You are a rigorous person, with a strong sense of responsibility who knows how to work independently but with team spirit, endowed with a sense of interpersonal relationships and diplomacy as well as with integrity and discretion;
- You have a very good understanding of the political environment of the CoR and of the European Institutions;
- You have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages. For functional reasons, a thorough knowledge of English is required;
- You have an excellent knowledge of Excel and good general command of IT applications and tools (Outlook, Word, Business Objects, etc.) and a strong interest in IT modernisation. An experience with Visual Basics or macro programming would be an asset;
- Experience in coordinating the administrative preparation of the work of the administrative and/or political bodies would be an asset.