Your job and responsibilities
Do you like financial management, diversity of tasks and versatility? Do you like to enjoy independence in the exercise of your function and do you want to play an important and a recognized role in an organization on a human scale?
As a financial verifying agent, you are responsible for the ex-ante verification of the legality, regularity and sound financial management of all types of budgetary transactions (commitments, payments, recovery orders, transfers) and legal transactions (procedures for call for tenders and decision to award contracts, contracts, purchase orders) made in the institution, with the aim of reducing the risk of irregularities.
You ensure that these transactions have been carried out correctly, in accordance with the Financial Regulation and other applicable rules and you give your independent opinion to the authorising officers by sub-delegation so as to allow the latter to decide whether to authorize a transaction or not.
You are also responsible for controlling recruitment files, files setting or modifying statutory rights, as well as controlling salaries using a specific procedure.
You carry out thematic ex post verifications annually at the request of the authorising officers by sub-delegation.
You play a role of assistance and advice to the initiating agents and the authorizing officers of the institution with regard to the interpretation of the applicable rules and procedures as well as for any type of financial question relating to budget execution under direct management. You may need to organize meetings with the initiating services in the event of more complex transactions.
As financial expert, you will perform a series of horizontal tasks aiming at the continuous professionalization and consolidation of financial management throughout the institution. These tasks include the streamlining of financial procedures and workflows, the elaboration of guidance for financial actors, the promotion of exchange of knowledge and experience across the financial community at CoR and the development and organisation of training for financial agents. In addition, you will be able to contribute to the development and implementation of other aspects of the financial management model, the internal control environment and the planning and reporting cycle in place in the institution.
Under the responsibility of the Head of Unit and of the Deputy Head of unit, you will also ensure the direct supervision of the central team of financial initiating agents (consisting of 5 colleagues). This entails i.a.:
- Assuming the daily responsibility for planning, coordinating, implementing, managing and supervising the sector's work: identifying and monitoring the sector's objectives, ensuring proper and timely implementation of decisions and policies, ensuring quality control and checking that decisions and operations comply with official rules and procedures; dividing and coordinating the work between the team members and assuming proper follow up.
- Ensuring the daily management and supervision of the team, with particular focus on the day-to-day running of the team, fostering good internal communication and team spirit, motivating staff, stimulating a positive working environment and encouraging and monitoring performance.
- Providing support and advice to management with regard to staff development and performance of the team.
- Fostering efficient cooperation with the members of the financial community at CoR: understanding and accommodating insofar as possible the needs and specificities of the respective CoR departments; establishing effective collaboration with authorizing officers by sub-delegation and with operational colleagues in the various services of the CoR.
You join the dynamic financial verification team, made up of a head of sector and 5 assistants, all experts in financial verification and financial management.
You will be asked to acquire sufficient knowledge of the overall structure of the organization and the internal control systems in place to understand their role, including the risks that the controls aim to limit, the operations to be controlled and the adequate intensity of controls required for each of them.
In the light of evolving needs, other relevant tasks and responsibilities within the remit of unit E4 may be assigned to you by the Head of Unit.
Are you the talent we are looking for?
- You have solid experience in financial management and a good knowledge of the financial regulations applicable within the European Institutions (Financial Regulations, public procurement rules, etc.);
- You preferably have an economic, accounting or legal education;
- You have excellent analytical and synthesis skills (ability to distinguish the essential from the accessory and to identify areas of risk), organization skills, as well as an eye for details;
- You are able to quickly assimilate internal decisions and regulations and check their correct application, to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- You are a rigorous person, with a strong sense of responsibility who knows how to work independently but with team spirit, endowed with a sense of interpersonal relationships and diplomacy as well as with integrity and discretion;
- You have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages. For functional reasons, a thorough knowledge of English and / or French is required;
- You have a good command of IT applications and tools (Outlook, Excel, Word, Business Objects, SharePoint, etc.) as well as the ABAC financial management system;
- Prior experience in leading a team is an asset.