The remit of the Commission for Territorial Cohesion Policy and EU Budget (COTER) covers
- Economic, Social and Territorial Cohesion
- Structural Funds and Spatial Planning
- Urban Policy and Housing
- Transport and Trans-European Transport Networks
- Macro-regions, Territorial cooperation, and Regional statistics and indicators
- Annual EU budget, Multiannual Financial Framework, and Local and Regional Finances
The COTER Secretariat is also responsible for the official EU register of the EGTCs and for managing the EGTC Platform bringing together political and technical representatives of all the existing EGTCs and EGTCs under construction.
In addition, COTER is in charge of CoR's Territorial Impact Assessments (TIAs). TIAs provide CoR rapporteurs with an analysis of the potential territorial impact of EU legislative proposals.
Joint CoR-OECD activities – in areas such as the quality of public investment, decentralisation or regional, urban and rural development – are also managed by COTER. The key objective of the cooperation is to strengthen political dialogue between the OECD and the EU local and regional governments and ultimately improve public policies that foster economic and social well-being.