The CoR is launching a call for expression of interest addressed
to officials of local and regional authorities (LRAs) to
participate in the 6th meeting of the European Migration Forum. This event is co-organised by the European Commission and the European Economic and Social Committee and will take place on
2-3 June 2020 in Brussels at the CoR/EESC premises.
This edition will focus on the link between integration policies for migrants and refugees and broader social policies in general (social cohesion, culture, education and sport policies), on the need for tailor-made integration support and for facilitating encounters and interactions between migrants and nationals. Safe legal pathways for those in need of international protection, and how to maximise their integration in hosting societies will also be discussed. It will also include a reflection on the narrative about migration and how to communicate effectively with EU citizens on migration issues. Participants can present successful projects to others at a networking marketplace. In addition, there will be a discussion on the future priorities in the field of integration in view of the future EU strategy and action plan currently under preparation.
The event will take an
interactive, participatory approach. The core of the event will consist of workshops, discussion islands and other opportunities to participate in the debate. All participants will be expected to contribute to discussions and work in groups. While the organisers aim to provide participants with interpretation services in more languages, it is highly recommended that
participants have a good command of English or French. Given the format of the event, political level participation is not foreseen. Participants should be civil servants/professional staff from local and regional authorities.
More information is available on the EESC
Forum website and in the
News section of the website of DG Migration and Home Affairs of the European Commission.
Participation-related expenses will be covered by the European Commission. Selected authorities' officials will be notified and receive invitations later in the process.
Local and regional authorities do not need to submit an application form to the EESC or the European Commission.
The CoR is in charge of the selection procedure. The final list of participants will be approved by the Forum Bureau.
How to apply
no later than Friday 6th March 2020 an email to the CoR
CIVEX commission secretariat (cc:
firstname.lastname@example.org) specifying your LRA and outlining the following:
1. Your authority's main activities and challenges related to at least one of the themes of the 2020 edition (max. 500 characters per topic):
- Making a social Europe for all: how to mainstream integration of migrants in social cohesion policies
- Each trajectory is unique: beyond mainstreaming, why tailor-made integration support is needed and how can it be delivered
- Integration as a two-way process: fostering encounters and interaction between migrants and local communities in particular through culture, art, sport, volunteering etc.
- How to maximise integration for people in need for protection: lessons learned from private/community sponsorship schemes?
- How to change the narrative/ communicate effectively with EU citizens on migration and integration policies?
2. whether you have participated in previous editions of the EMF (specifying the year);
3. the role and contact details of the official who would represent your authority.
Once all applications have been reviewed, applicants will be notified accordingly by mid-April 2020 the latest. After the selection procedure of the applications is completed, the selected LRAs´officials will receive an invitation to register for the event (including the programme and a link to the registration form). The travel and accommodation arrangements for selected participants will be organised via the travel agent of the European Commission. (Please note that the Commission will not be able to reimburse the costs of travel arrangements made directly by the participants.)
Organiser of the EMF: European Economic and Social Committee and the European Commission
Contact: Secretariat of the European Migration Forum
Selection procedure for LRAs: European Committee of the Regions