Awarded with recognition and a 10,000€ pay check, the prize recompenses a city, region or civil society organisation that brings sustainable transformation to its community
The 2019 edition of the Transformative Action Award is now open. This European-wide sustainability award is co-organised by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, the Basque Country and the City of Aalborg with the support of the European Committee of the Regions and the European Investment Bank.
You can apply here until 31 July 2019.
The 2019 edition of the
Transformative Action Award was launched on 6 March at the 'Change the Change' international conference in San Sebastian (Basque Country).
"The Transformative Action Award celebrates the ambition of cities and municipalities to create sustainable communities," said
Karl Heinz-Lambertz, President of the European Committee of the Regions and host of the Transformative Action Award Ceremony.
“It sends a clear message that local democracy and citizen engagement are the driving force for a sustainable future," added President Lambertz.
Cor Lamers, Chair of the ENVE Commission of the European Committee of the Regions and Transformative Action Award jury member, said: “The Transformative Action Award gives Europe-wide recognition to cities that are leading the way in terms of sustainability. Actions that reduce our environmental impact are urgently needed and this initiative is an invaluable tool to make those actions happen."
- Any local or regional authority or civil society organisation located in any EU Member State, EEA country or EU candidate or accession country that has endorsed the
- The applicant is responsible for the implementation of the presented Transformative Action.
- The Transformative Action must be in place for at least three months, but no longer than five years at the time of submission.
- Entries considered for the 2017 and 2018 Transformative Action Award will not be eligible for the 2019 edition.
- The application deadline is 31 July, 2019.
Click here to apply.
Rewards for the Winner
- €10.000 to kickstart a Transformative Action in your city, region or municipality.
- Showcase on the
Sustainable Cities Platform.
- Promotion through
ICLEI website, ICLEI in Europe e-newsletter and social media channels
- Publicity in publications related to sustainable development.
- A trophy and the right to be called 'Transformative Action of the year 2019'.
- Digital 'Transformative Action of the year 2019' icon for use on websites, Social Media accounts and in email signatures.
- Free entry and a presentation at the next European Conference on Sustainable Cities & Towns taking place in Mannheim (Germany) in 2020´.
Note to applicants:
The Europe-wide sustainability award, organised by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, the Basque Country and the City of Aalborg (Denmark) and supported by the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) and the European Investment Bank (EIB), rewards ongoing or concluded Transformative Actions that use the
15 pathways outlined in the
Basque Declaration to achieve the socio-cultural, socio-economic and technological transformation of societiesThe actions taken reflect local or regional contributions to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Winner of the 2018 Transformative Action Award. Ghent (Belgium) won the 2018 Transformative Action Award for their action which seeks to transform the city's local food system through participative governance models.
Winner of the 2017 Transformative Action Award. Nilüfer (Turkey) won the 2017 Transformative Action Award for their action which aims to increase civic engagement and participatory local democracy through Neighbourhood Committees, the Nilüfer Energy Cooperative and the Nilüfer Innovation Center.
CoR / David Crous /
ICLEI / Robert Morrow /