The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) is drafting an Opinion on Models of local energy ownership and the role of local energy communities in energy transition in Europe at the request of the upcoming Austrian presidency of the European Council.
Our rapporteur Ms Mariana GÂJU (RO/PES) has prepared a Working Document which can be found at these links in English and in French. The rapporteur strives for the highest possible quality input and widest range of different views for her opinion and we believe your expertise will greatly contribute to achieving this objective. In case you have a position paper related to the topic, you are invited to send it before the meeting to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The key questions to be addressed during the meeting are:
- Are there any examples from the Member States of regionalising energy infrastructure (such as taking up or taking back ownership of street lighting) and/or issues which have pleased community members?
- Is the local/regional authorities' role in taking over energy infrastructure becoming significant?
- What is the role of local energy communities when the energy infrastructure is managed by the local/municipal authority?
- How do local authorities interact with members of the public/recipients of energy community services?
- What risks/opportunities have been identified for local/regional authorities in economic, legislative or regulatory terms, and what needs to be done or stopped?
- What is the role of local energy communities and have there been any conflicts of interest requiring redress?
- Are rules or legislation needed to support energy infrastructure at local/municipal/regional level with a view to meeting the goals set under the European Energy Union (safety, sustainability and security of supply)?
- Does the regulatory framework need to be adapted to allow for the support given to potential investors (prosumers) when exploiting small capacities of renewable energy sources (e.g. 100 kW)?
- Are there any positive examples of local energy community involvement in the Member States?
- What are the relevant models for local energy communities, including regulatory standards and incentives given by local/regional authorities?
Please register here by Thursday 09 July 2018