The conference aimed at highlighting the expectations of local and regional authorities from the negotiations on the waste legislative proposals following the ENVI Committee vote on 24 January 2017.
It also will discussed the progress on the European Commission Action Plan including the implementation report and the Communication on waste to energy which were adopted by the European Commission on 25 January, and showcased experiences from front running local and regional authorities in making the circular economy happen on the ground.
The conference builds on the European Committee of the Regions' opinions on the circular economy and the review of waste legislation.
Presentations and speeches from the panelists:
- Witold Stępień, 1st Vice Chair of the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) ENVE Commission, President of the Lodzkie Region, Poland
- Dr. Miriam Dalli, MEP Chair of Circular Economy Working Group of the European Parliament Intergroup on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development
Subsession 1: Making the new waste legislation work for local and regional authorities - expectations from the negotiations on the waste legislative proposals
Local & regional authorities' statements
- Domenico Gambacorta, CoR rapporteur on the legislative proposals amending EU waste directives
- Marianne Overton, Spokesperson for Environment of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR), Lincolnshire Councilor
- Vanya Veras, Secretary General of Municipal Waste Europe
Reactions from the negotiators
- Minister Dr. José Herrera, Minister for Sustainable Development, the Environment and Climate Change, Malta, EU Presidency
- Kestutis Sadauskas, Director Circular Economy & Green Growth, European Commission
Subsession 2: Local and regional authorities making the circular economy work
Progress on the European Commission Action Plan – the new financing platform and waste to energy initiative
- Grzegorz Radziejewski, Member of cabinet of European Commission Vice-President Katainen
Going circular in cities – best practice examples from Eurocities
- Håkon Jentoft, Chair of Eurocities working group on waste and EU urban partnership on the circular economy, Senior executive officer at Oslo's agency for waste management
Going circular at a regional scale – regions as frontrunners
- Francoise Bonnet, Secretary General of ACR+- Association of Cities and Regions for Recycling and Sustainable Resource Management<link to file 10……>
Conclusions and outlook
- Andrew Cooper, CoR member and rapporteur on the Environment Implementation Review