The Enlargement Day is the forum where local and regional issues and messages influence the EU's strategy on enlargement.
On 31 May (afternoon), local and regional political representatives from both the EU and from enlargement countries meet in country-specific Joint Consultative Committees and Working Groups for high-level debates on where things stand as regards each country and the Union.
The plenary on 1 June (morning) will debate the wider state and concept of EU enlargement, as well as the connectivity of transport and energy networks in the enlargement countries.
||WG Western Balkans
Thematic session: Sustainable urban development
Structural and cohesion funds: transposing lessons to Pre-Accession funds
Thematic session: Promoting entrepreneurship
Sub-national governance in Turkey: empowering local authorities
- Karl-Heinz LAMBERTZ (BE/PES), 1st Vice-President of the European Committee of the Regions
- David McALLISTER (DE/EPP), Member of the European Parliament and Rapporteur on Serbia
- Johannes HAHN, Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy & Enlargement (video message)
Reporting back from the JCC and WG meetings
- Co-Chairs of the Joint Consultative Committees
- Chairs of the Working Groups
- Ivica KONEVSKI, Mayor of Municipality of Aerodrom, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Panel Debate 1: Enlargement: Dynamics and Stabilisation
- Allan JONES, Head of Unit "Strategy, Policy", DG Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations of the European Commission
- Corina STRATULAT, Senior Policy Analyst, European Policy Centre
- Naim ISMAJLI, Mayor of Shtime Municipality, President of the Board of the Association of Kosovo* Municipalities
Panel Debate 2: Connectivity
- Morten JUNG, Senior Adviser, Western Balkans Directorate, DG Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations of the European Commission
- Dirk BUSCHLE, Deputy Director, Energy Community Secretariat, Vienna
- Adam SZOLYAK, Policy Officer "Networks and Regional Initiatives", DG Energy of the European Commission
- Fuad KASUMOVIĆ, Mayor of Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Hughie McGRATH (IE/EA), Member of the European Committee of the Regions, Member of Tipperary County Council, Co-Chair of JCC Montenegro
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on the status of Kosovo, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/99 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.