The remit of the
Commission for Territorial Cohesion Policy and EU Budget (COTER) covers the following fields:
- EU budget and Multiannual Financial Framework
- Economic, Social and Territorial Cohesion
- Cohesion Policy Funds
- Territorial Development, including the Territorial Agenda
- Urban Policy
- Spatial Planning and Housing
- Territorial cooperation including Cross-border Cooperation and Macro-regional Strategies
- Transport Policy, TEN-T and Missing Links
- Regional statistics and indicators
The COTER Secretariat is also responsible for the official
EU register of the EGTCs and for managing the EGTC Platform bringing together political and technical representatives of all the existing EGTCs and EGTCs under construction.
In addition, COTER is in charge of the CoR's
Territorial Impact Assessments (TIAs). TIAs provide CoR rapporteurs with an analysis of the potential territorial impact of EU legislative proposals.
Joint CoR-OECD activities – in areas such as the quality of public investment, decentralisation or regional, urban and rural development – are also managed by COTER. The key objective of the cooperation is to strengthen political dialogue between the OECD and EU local and regional governments and ultimately improve public policies that foster economic and social well-being.