The opinions assess to what extent LRAs are involved in the preparation of bilateral cooperation agreements with the EU and the implementation of the Eastern Partnership Initiative, including the European Neighbourhood Policy Instrument (ENPI) and Cross Border Cooperation. The opinion supports continuous exchange of experiences by making twinning agreements between institutions and communities, teaching, study visits and participation of Moldovan LRAs in the EU regional bodies (as either members or observers).
THE COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS
- welcomes the launch of the programme of ambitious reforms designed to strengthen democracy, market economy and the principles of the rule of law, the start of new association agreement negotiations and the opening of the dialogue on liberalising the visa regime;
- notes that it would make sense to extend CoR participation to the two other platforms as they cover activities directly involving LRAs (especially, Platform 2 – Economic integration and convergence with EU policies);
- recommends to consult and involve LRAs in the new association agreement negotiations, in developing regional development pilot programmes, and in monitoring and assessing implementation of regional development policy. Therefore, the CoR also wishes to play a constructive role in the negotiation and conclusion of a memorandum of understanding between DG REGIO and the Ministry for Construction and Regional Development;
- notes that consolidating financial autonomy of LRAs will be crucial for future management of European funds and for stepping up regional and cross-border cooperation;
- highlights the importance of continuous exchange of experiences by making twinning agreements between institutions and communities, teaching, study visits and participation of Moldovan LRAs in the EU regional bodies (as either members or observers) standard practice.