The COVID-19 outbreak continues to expand globally. Governments at all levels, and in particular local and regional authorities, are being called upon to provide emergency services, communicate on how to contain the spread of disease, coordinate efforts, and mitigate as far as possible the impact on economies.
Regional and local leaders are at the forefront of the fight against the pandemic. They urgently need better coordination among all levels of governance; better provision of essential equipment; quick and easy-to-use financial support to address the immediate needs and pragmatic solutions to adapt to the local and regional requirements.
In this extraordinary circumstances, the Committee of the Regions, as the interface and reference point between the European Union and its local and regional governments, endorsed a plan to
assist, inform, engage and represent regions and cities across Europe by:
- Fostering EU support to local and regional authorities in the health sector, via the call for an EU Health Emergency Mechanism
- Making available an exchange platform to foster cooperation and facilitate mutual support between cities and regions across Europe
- Providing through CoR mechanisms concrete feedback from the local and regional level on how to address the health, emergency response, social and economic aspects of the pandemic and their impact on people and their local communities
- Providing regular and practical information to local and regional authorities about EU measures to address the crisis
- Facilitating a reality check on the ground of the EU's measures to fight the pandemic; gather evidence to improve EU policies based on the experiences of the local and regional level (policy health check)
Read more on the Action Plan here
We invite CoR Members, Presidents of regions, Mayors and other local and regional partners to kick-off the exchange platform by writing to this address:
We welcome your personal experiences, ideas, proposals, video messages; and we ask you to share needs and requests to be addressed at EU level and feedback on the EU response.