Detail of the vacancy notice
Directorate B, Legislative Work 1
Deadline: 02/12/2022 12:00
Head of Unit
Commission for Citizenship, Governance, Institutional Affairs and External Relations (CIVEX)
Your job and responsibilities
Do you have a thorough understanding of the functioning of the European institutions and particularly regarding citizenship, governance, institutional affairs and external relations, while leading a highly professional team? Do you like working with a large variety of political and administrative stakeholders at both local and EU level? Do you have excellent communication skills and are able to ensure effective communication within your team and with internal and external stakeholders?
As a Head of Unit your main responsibilities are:
Leadership/management role - you are the leader of the CIVEX secretariat and responsible for setting goals and objectives and establishing priorities. As a manager, your mission is to ensure, in particular:
- delivery of high-quality work respecting the deadlines set;
- relevant and impactful inter-institutional relations;
- compliance with the rules and procedures within the remits of the Unit;
- communication with staff and other stakeholders relating to the Unit's spheres of responsibility;
- a positive work environment and the motivation and training of the staff you are managing.
Strategy - you provide a strategic framework for:
- planning, organising and coordinating the work of the CIVEX secretariat with a view to achieving maximum political impact for the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) in the EU legislative process and beyond in its policy fields;
- monitoring the Unit's results and evaluating the fulfilment of objectives by using appropriate indicators, and report results to senior management;
- providing high-quality policy support to members to formulate and promote CoR political messages in the policy fields of the CIVEX Commission;
- efficiently running the initiatives, networks and platforms linked to the CIVEX commission such as Subsidiarity Monitoring Network , ARLEM (Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly), CORLEAP (Conference of Local and Regional Authorities for the Eastern Partnership), CoR /UK Contact group JCC Serbia, JCC Montenegro, WG Turkey, WG Western Balkans, Ukraine working groups, or peer to peer activities such as the support to Libyan municipalities (Nicosia initiative) or cities and regions integration network;
Communication - you actively and personally engage, cultivate and manage strong relations with the Directorate in charge of press and communication by:
- ensuring first class communication on the work of the CIVEX commission towards CIVEX members, CoR members and key institutions and stakeholders;
- providing special communication actions in the remits of the CIVEX commission as well as related to the implementation of the relevant memorandums of understanding and action plans.
- closely cooperating with Directorate D ensuring first class communication on the work of the CIVEX commission;
Your specific tasks include:
- further strengthening the evidence base of our work particularly through reaching out to the local and regional level and cooperating with partners such as the JRC and territorial associations;
- further developing innovative solutions for an enhanced thematic co-operation with the EU institutions and relevant European agencies in the policy fields of the CIVEX commission;
- effectively communicating with members, the commission Chair, political groups, national delegations, territorial associations and relevant stakeholders;
- contributing to the work of all CoR statutory bodies in the policy fields of the CIVEX Commission in close cooperation with other Units and Directorates.
Are you the talent we are looking for?
- You have a strong record of delivery in a complex public authority or organisation where a proactive approach is required;
- You have a post-university professional experience of at least ten years, of which at least three years must have been acquired in a position where you successfully led, motivated and developed a team of professionals;
- You have a high political sensitivity and the ability to understand dynamics, strengths and constraints of a political institution and to prioritise according to service needs;
You have experience interacting with numerous stakeholders and external partners;
You have excellent communication skills and are able to ensure effective communication within your team and in you relations with internal stakeholders;
- You have strong interpersonal skills and are able to ensure your various interactions are smooth and uncomplicated as well as an effective execution of your leadership role;
- You have a deep knowledge of CoR activities and policies, and strong appreciation of the different political stakeholders;
- You show a very good knowledge of the European institutions and EU policies;
- You have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the EU and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages. For functional reasons, a thorough knowledge of English is required and a good level of French is desirable;
- You have a good command of IT applications and tools (such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Business Objects, and SharePoint) as well as the ABAC financial management system.