Detail of the vacancy notice
Directorate B, Legislative Work 1
Your job and responsibilities
Are you interested in political, legislative and analytical work related to democracy, better regulation, the rule of law and migration issues? Do you want to interact with stakeholders at local, regional, and European level?
As an administrator in the Commission for Citizenship, Governance, Institutional and External Affairs (CIVEX), you are responsible for the policy areas related to democracy, governance, devolution of powers, rule of law, migration and the Future of Europe, policy areas that are at the core of strategic debates within the European Committee of the Regions (CoR).
You autonomously support the work of Members and experts on the preparation of CoR opinions, by drafting policy analysis, briefings, speeches and background memos in your policy field. In particular, you will contribute to prepare the CoR input to the Conference on the Future of Europe (CoFE).
You develop contacts with the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council, and constantly monitor inter-institutional activities by keeping abreast of policy developments in your policy field. You cooperate with other stakeholders such as regional offices, NGOs, think tanks and associations. You also represent the CoR in topical administrative working groups.
You help to organise recurring commission meetings, and you provide assistance to the Members of the CIVEX commission in their external and extraordinary activities, to boost collaboration in these fields with local and regional counterparts.
You contribute to the institution's strategic planning by ensuring follow-up of the future work programme and of your opinions after they have been adopted, to help assess their impact.
When appropriate, in support of your legislative work, you contribute to provide evidence via desk research and draw up specifications and ensure follow-up of studies carried out by external contractors. You design and implement online surveys of local and regional authorities and their representative organisations.
Are you the talent we are looking for?
- You have thorough knowledge of an official language of the European Union and satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the European Union. For functional reasons, knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of other languages of the European Union, including French or German, would be an asset.
- You have some experience or knowledge in the policy sectors covered by the CIVEX Commission or related to the nature of the duties to be performed, and an otherwise strong interest and motivation to learn.
- Ideally, you possess an academic background, involving some courses related to political sciences, law, public administration, European Law or European affairs.
- You have good drafting and analytical skills.
- You have good communication skills and are comfortable working in a team; you can prioritise and work well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- You are proficient in using the most common IT applications, and a willingness to learn new (online) technologies when needed.