Your job and responsibilities
Do you like financial management, variation and versatility, to play an important and recognized role in an organization and to enjoy independence in the exercise of your function?
As a financial verifying agent, you are responsible for the ex ante verification of the legality, regularity and sound financial management of all types of budgetary transactions (commitments, payments, recovery orders, transfers) and legal transactions (procedures for call for tenders and decision to award contracts, contracts, purchase orders) made in the institution, with the aim of reducing the risk of irregularities.
You ensure that these transactions have been carried out correctly, in accordance with the Financial Regulation and other applicable rules and you give your independent opinion to the authorising officer by subdelegation so as to allow the latter to decide whether to authorize a transaction or not.
You are also responsible for controlling recruitment files, files setting or modifying statutory rights, as well as controlling salaries using a specific procedure.
You carry out thematic ex post verifications annually at the request of the authorising officers by subdelegation.
You play a role of assistance and advice to the initiating agents and the authorizing officers of the institution with regard to the interpretation of the applicable rules and procedures as well as for any type of financial question relating to budget execution under direct management. You may need to organize meetings with the initiating services in the event of more complex transactions.
In addition, you will be able to contribute to the development and implementation of other aspects of the financial management model, the internal control environment and the planning and reporting cycle in place in the institution.
You join the dynamic financial verification team, made up of a head of sector and 5 assistants, all experts in verification and financial management.
You will be asked to acquire sufficient knowledge of the overall structure of the organization and the internal control systems in place to understand their role, including the risks that the controls aim to limit, the operations to be controlled and the adequate intensity of controls required for each of them.
Are you the talent we are looking for?
- You have solid experience in financial management and a good knowledge of the financial regulations applicable within the European Institutions (Financial Regulations, public procurement rules, etc.);
- You preferably have an economic, accounting or legal education;
- You have excellent analytical and summarizing skills (ability to distinguish the essential from the accessory and to identify areas of risk), organization skills, as well as an eye for details;
- You are able to quickly assimilate internal decisions and regulations and check their correct application, to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- You are a rigorous person, with a strong sense of responsibility who knows how to work independently but with team spirit, endowed with a sense of interpersonal relationships and diplomacy as well as with integrity and discretion;
- You have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union (EU) and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages. For practical reasons, a thorough knowledge of English or French is required, at least satisfactory knowledge of the other of those two languages would be considered an asset;
- You have a good command of IT applications and tools (Outlook, Excel, Word, Business Objects, SharePoint, etc.) as well as the ABAC financial management system;
- Relevant professional experience in the field of financial management or financial verification within the Institutions would be an asset;
- Knowledge of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the EU would also be an asset.