Detail of the vacancy notice
Directorate D, Communication
Press officers and relations with media unit
Assigned to the Press officers and media relations unit, the official will be responsible for implementing the priorities set by the yearly communication plan, performing media related tasks based on general guidelines, political agenda and communication priorities, under the authority of the head of unit. French will be his/her main working language. Such tasks will include:
Managing a communication campaign, as project leader or shadowing the main manager:
- Coordinate relationships with relevant stakeholders;
- Cooperate with other communication services;
- Conceive, monitor and implement proper plans and timelines;
- Promote the main objectives of the campaigns;
- Measure output and results.
Relations with local, regional, national and Brussels-based media:
- Write press releases, articles and other information materials to be disseminated to the media;
- Manage media partnerships with French language media;
- Establish and maintain contacts with journalists and the media; answer journalist questions and requests, such as interviews with the CoR's President and members;
- Plan and organise press conferences.
Organisation of events and partnership activities:
- Establish inter-institutional relations especially with the press offices of other institutions, coordinate communication and information strategies and share best practices and information.
Contribution to CoR's social media activities:
- Liaise with the CoR's social media service and provide relevant input when necessary.
Decentralised communication and publications management:
- Proofing of French texts upon request;
- Support and edit input into the production of CoR audio-visual products.
Qualifications and skills required:
- Very good knowledge of fields relating to the communication and press activities of the EU and/or its Member States; a relevant working experience in these fields would be an important asset;
- Very good knowledge of the European institutions and EU policies;
- Good knowledge of the CoR's activities, workings and political priorities;
- Excellent knowledge of the press corps in Brussels, based on proved experience;
- Proven capacity to work with elected politicians to ensure maximum positive visibility for the EU;
- Proven tenacity to look beyond day-to-day setbacks and narrow policy points to identify and exploit broader political communication potential;
- Proven ability to deploy key communication assets across multiple communication channels as a coherent campaign;
- Very good drafting skills (press releases, memos, minutes, draft speeches, etc.), notably in French and English;
- Good IT skills: MS Word, email, internet/intranet, Excel, Powerpoint, Sharepoint. Ability to work with databases;
- Thorough knowledge of an official language of the EU and at least a satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the EU. For functional reasons, thorough knowledge of French is required (mother tongue level);
- Ability to think ahead, organize and prioritize;
- Good interpersonal skills.