Temporary ad hoc Commission on the EU Budget
The mandate of the Temporary ad hoc Commission on the EU budget is:
- To draw up a draft CoR opinion on the European Commission's proposal on the review of the EU's financial framework, and submit it to the CoR Plenary Assembly;
- To draw up other opinions as deemed appropriate by the Bureau, regarding the budget debate within the EU;
- To ensure consistency between the opinions of the different CoR commissions and the CoR's stances on the budget debate and the review and reform processes under way;
- Where necessary, to provide a political interface with the other institutions and in particular with the most closely concerned EP committees, the Commission, the Council and the EU presidencies;
- To represent the CoR externally, in appropriate forms, throughout the budget debate.
The Temporary ad hoc commission will remain in place until the end of the current five-year term (2010-2015).
Context of the debate on EU Budget Review
29 June 2011:
- Publication by the European Commission of its proposals for a new multiannual financial framework (MFF) for the period 2014-2020, and for new Own-resources.
- Approval by the CoR bureau of the proposal of own-initiative opinion on a new multiannual financial framework post-2013 (rapporteur: Flo Clucas, UK/ALDE)
- CoR adopted an opinion providing its political orientations in order to guarantee the EU's regions and cities voice in the upcoming debates on the future Multiannual Financial framework post -2013.
- the Commission has adopted its communication on the EU Budget Review following the entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty and the adoption of the EU 2020 Strategy (EU's growth strategy),
- Following this wide consultation, the CoR adopted its own-initiative opinion (CdR 16/2008) (link to opinion)
- The European Commission published a Communication "Reforming the budget, changing Europe"
- Launch of public consultation in view of the budget review. The numerous local, regional, national and European levels contributions stimulated the open debate on EU finances.
- The European Parliament, the Council and the Commission agreed that the Commission should undertake a fundamental review of the EU budget covering all aspects of EU funding and EU resources.
For more information on the EU Budget Review, please visit the European Commission website on the Multiannual Financial Framework 22014-2020 (link: http://ec.europa.eu/budget/reform/index_en.htm)
Chair - Mrs CLUCAS Flo (UK/ALDE)
Members of the Commission
- BORE Albert (UK/PES)
- BOURGEOIS Geert (BE/EA)
- BRESSO Mercedes (IT/PES)
- DELEBARRE Michel (FR/PES)
- KNAPE Anders (SV/EPP)
- SCHNEIDER Michael (DE/EPP)
- SWIETALSKI Leszek (PL/PES)
- VALCARCEL SISO Ramon Luis (ES/EPP)
- VAN DEN BRANDE Luc (BE/EPP)
- VERKERK Bas (NL/ALDE)
Alternate members of the Commission
- BIHARY Gabor (HU/PES)
- HALLIKMÄGI Väino (ET/ALDE)
- JAHN Helmut (DE/EPP)
- JAUNSLEINIS Andris (LV/ALDE)
- JENSEN Henning (DK/PES)
- LAMBERTZ Karl-Heinz (BE/PES)
- LAMERS Cor (NL/EPP)
- LUCENA BARRANQUERO Miguel (ES/PES)
- MOHR Erwin (AT/EPP)
- STRUZIK Adam (PL/EPP)
- THOMAS Rhodri Glyn (UK/EA)
The chairpersons of the 6 CoR commissions are also observer members of the temporary ad hoc commission.
- 14 September 2011 (morning): 5th meeting of the temporary ad hoc commission
- 4 October 2011 (afternoon): technical workshop at the CoR in Brussels
- 11 November 2011 (afternoon): 6th meeting of the temporary ad hoc commission
Meeting documents (link:http://toad.cor.europa.eu/CORAgendas.aspx?body=COMBUDG )